Timeline of Ifthithaah

Timeline of Ifthithaah – the first 25 years

Introduction

www.ifthithaah.edu.mv

Madharasathul Ifthithaah was first opened from various islands of Maldives there were 155 students in total. The students’ lists were compiled by Abdulla Fahmee Didi himself. Click here for the first batch of students (written in dhivehi).

The Management

When the school was first started the school was governed by the principle and his assistants. And in 1948(1367 H) the position of Assistant Principal was designed. Later in 1958(1377) Principle’s secretary and office secretary was appointed. When primary schooling was introduced in 1983 Headmaster, Assistant Headmaster and Supervisors’ positions were created. Thus now the school administration consists of Principle, Assitant Principle, Head Mistress, Advisor, supervisors.

The official opening of Madarasathul Ifthithaah was on the night of 22nd June 1933 (27 Safaru 1352) at a special meeting held in Atoll Office. The atoll chief of that time was Khatheeb Abdul Rahman from Hinnavaru. Students, officials from Naifaru and other respectable delegates were present during the night. The inaugural speech of the school was given by the founder, principle and teacher Faleelathul Shaikh Abdullah Fahmee Didi Al-Azharee. In his speech the mightiness of acquiring knowledge was highlighted. The atoll chief of that time as well gave a speech on this occasion.

The subjects taught at that time were Thauheedh, Islamic Jurisprudence (fikhu), the tradition of holy prophet (Hadith), Usoolul Fikhu, Moral conduct (Akhlaaq), Nakhoo and Arabic Language.

Along with Fahmee in running the school the biggest contributor was the island chief of that time, Abdul Hakeem Kaana Kaleyge Faan (Donkoko.) The secretary was Easa Fahmee (kudakoi Easa.) In teaching the students based on their own level, all the periods were taken by the principle himself. People who are engaged in daily jobs like fishermen are being taught at night. Apart from Abdul Fahmee Didi, as teachers the island chief, Qasim Alifulhu (the father of Moosa Fathee) and Easa Fahmee conducted some classes. As number of students increase with various age groups and capabilities, classes increased and more teachers were needed. In this regard, subjects like Mathematics were added to the list of subjects and additional teachers were employed – Hussian Fahmee, Mohamed Ali and Moosa Yoosuf. The first mathematics teacher of Madarasathul Ifthithaah is Ali Koi Easa Kayge Faan.

Regular examinations are being conducted in the school. The certificate issued to all the passed pupils are of high trust and respect. It is directly given by the principal and based on it jobs at government of that time are easily secured.

1939: After 6 years of very steady running, the school experienced a slowdown in its education. When the first constitution of Maldives was declared void all the schools of the country suffered a minor setback. And when the principle was taken to Male’ to report for a job at the Maldives administration a prolonged setback was experienced at school. The black board and the clock given by the administration was taken back and students dispersed themselves to various places which resulted is a very low will and spirit at teaching. However, with a limited number of students left, the teaching process was still carried out.

1942 : the rebirth of the spirit: After a prolonged setback of a 5 year, together with the rise of Mohamed Ameen as the president, on 29th November 1942 (20 Zulgaidha 1363) teaching of the Ifthithaah took a new spirit. The administration handed over the work of the running of school to Al-Usthaaz Ibrahim Shihaab who was on a short visit to Naifaru for medical reasons.

When atolls asked Ifthithaah to carry out the education after the prolonged setback, with new changes the school got a new life. The principle this time was the atoll chief of that time Don Kalefaanu. With him, some new changes to subjects were brought as well. In this regard, the newly added subjects were Islamic Studies (Deeniyaath), Arabic and Moral Conduct. However at frequent occasions Quran, General Knowledge and Arabic-Dhivehi writing were added on.

1945: When women’s education was officially introduced to Madarasathul Ifthithaah as permission was granted by the administration, on 1st September 1945 (24 Shauban 1364) with 16 female, a new branch for education for female students were established. That was after 11 years of existence of Madarasathul Ifthithaah. Classes for them were conducted in Maalood Haruge and both the branches (for male and female) were administered by the principle, Mohamed Ali.

1948: on 6th November 1948 Maulood Haruge became the official schooling place upon the education department’s circular.

On first of every Islamic month, results are announced and speeches to students are delivered. The speeches are separately given for both the sexes.

Sports were introduced and to improve the discipline, studies and competition at the sports field the students were grouped in to groups of four. The females were grouped as either Unima or Funama. While the male students were grouped as either Kandoo or Nirolhu. The first in-charge of Funama was  was Sanfa Ali Koi while for Unima it was Sanfa Fulhu Moosa. But upon her departure, Siti Fulhu Yoosuf was given the post. The first in-charge of Kandoo was Mohamed Ali and for Nirolhu it was Kareem Moosa Fulhu.

1951: Group Study forums: On 11 February 1951 (4 Jumaadil-a-walu 1370) in the name of “Family Meeting” houses were selected for the students to gather at a specified time. During these gathering the students are to revise the lessons, discuss the lessons and teach one another the things which one knows regarding the lessons. The houses selected were Lainoonfaruge, Reynige and Dilaasaage. This system continued on for approximately 2 years.

The first supervision:  On 23 September 1957 (27 Safaru 1377) the assistant director of Ministry of Education, Mohamed Abdul Latheef visited the school on a supervising visit. He met with the teachers and school authority to inquire about the educational and discipline level of the students. He also checked for the adherence of the curriculum laid by school and demanded formal proofs as evidence. He gave suggestion in sports like swimming, paddling and so forth.

1959 : Training programme: On 1st June 1959 (24 Shawaal 1379) training programs were undertaken. This improved the quality of teacher and the disciplinary level of the students.

1959: On 21 July 1959 (15 Muharam 1379) Ahmed Shafeeq became the new principle of the school.

1961: In 1961 (1380) a craft was introduced. This was open for both the sexes and with the objectives of providing not only the reading-writing form of education but instead to male the students rich in practical works before they leave the school. The main crafts taught were: carpentry, dangandu telhun, handicraft, weaving and tailoring. A course of this nature is conducted for three months.

1961: English: In 1961 (1380) English was introduced a separate subject. And in order to upgrade the quality of the school after negotiation with Ministry of Education an upgrade in curriculum was brought in with a high-ranked certificate issued by Ministry of education to all those who passes from grade 5.

Mohamed Shareef became the new principle and he brought an expatriate teacher to teach English.

1961: A new round of teacher training was undertaken on 21 April 1961 (5 Zul-Qaidha 1380). This training session took the form of regular meeting which was conducted at the Atoll office.

1987: On 17th August 1987, up on the circular from Ministry of Education, a special class was introduced for all the illiterates of 10-15 years in Naifaru to provide them with the basic literacy requirement of the ministry.

————————————————————————————————————

GOLDEN JUBILEE

www.ifthithaah.edu.mv

1981: The celebration of golden jubilee and achievements so far: When the golden jubilee was celebrated on this year in the school up to grade five classes were taught in. The curriculum connotes that by the end of the 5th year Islamic Studies, Mathematics, Dhivehi and General Knowledge shall be taught to equivalency of magistrates and Dhivehi and Islam shall be taught to the equivalency of a Secretary.

1982: Primary schooling was introduced to Madarasathul Ifthithaah with 34 girls and 27 boys. When primary schooling started, the 5 grades which was on school before was declared as special classes. Because when the students for the 5 grades were selected they were not selected based on their age group unlike primary entrance of students to Madarasathul Ifthithaah.

1993: the complete abolishment of special classes from school.

1991: Grade 7 was first installed in to the school this year.

1993: Ifthithaah became a secondary school as well and English as the medium of instruction took effect for the first time.

1998: On 28 January 1998 all the grades between 5 – 10 was changed to fully English medium instructed.

1999: To teach computers in school the first computer lab was opened under the administration of Adam Shareef.

1959: The first library of the school was opened on 13th October 1959 (14 Rabee-ul-Aakhir 1379). During then the library contained various magazines published by the school and newspapers.

1996: On 29th September 1996, the library was modernized and made even bigger in size with large quantity of books and reopened. When the library was reopened in 1996 there were 1172 Dhivehi books, 5081 English books. But now the quantity has increased dramatically.

1996: The students of Ifthithaah set on GCE Ordinary Level for the first time – only in commerce stream.

1997: Ifthithaah was registered as an O’Level Centre.

1998: Science Stream was introduced for the first time to secondary school students.

————————————————————————————————————

The ownerships and era’s school went through

When the school was opened for the first time in 1933 (1352), it was a government school. And again after the prolonged setback of 1938(1358) again with the new spirit the school was under the ownership of government. The school maintained the status of state owned till 7th July 1956 (28 Zul-Qaidha 1375). All the expenses of the school were born by the government.

On 7th July 1956 (28 Zul-Qaidha 1375) after a meeting, the school was privatized and to be maintained by the citizens of the Naifaru. However, a certain share of government was still involved in Ifthithaah.

After a while again on 10th June 1957 (11 Zul-Qaidha) the school was changed from a Naifaru citizens’ own to entire LH Atoll citizen’s school. This change was announced on a meeting by Ibrahim Shihaab. Since then, the expenses of the school were undertaken by the atoll budget.

This status remained for a while and again on 21 May 1958 (2 Zul-Qaidha) the school was renowned by the citizens of Naifaru. From here on, the school was again run by the citizens of Naifaru. The principle of that time was Abdulla Hameed. The atoll office gives RF 410.00 as the salary for the principle and the teachers. Another RF 40 was given as administrative expenses. Other than those RF 80 per month was received as education fund and RF 42/50 are received from ministry of education.

The school remained as a publicly owned by the citizens for a long time. And on 50th anniversary the president of Maldives declared Madharasathul Ifthithaah as a government-owned institution. Eight years were spent as a government school and again on 8th February 1989 the ownership was again reclaimed as a Naifaru citizen’s own school. And the school was converted to a government school like now on 30th March 1996. Since then government have contributed to school greatly. Of all the most remarkable change was the declaration of the school as a separately-budgeted school in 1998.

As the era’s passed by, the spending to the school changed drastically as well. It transformed from RF 40 per month by government during the early years to RF 6, 594, 757.98 in 2000.

The following table shows the ownership changes of Ifthithaah over its life span.

Ownership Period
Government School

(First Time)

22nd June 1933 to 7th July 1956

(27 Safar 1352 – 28 Zui-Qaida 1375)

Naifaru Citizens’ own School

(First Time)

7th July 1956 to 10th June 1957

(28 Zul-Qiadha 1375 – 11 Zul-Qaidha 1376)

Atoll’s Citizens’ own School

(First Time)

10th June 1957 to 21 May 1958

(11 Zul-Qaidha 1375 – 2 Zul-Qaidha 1377

Naifaru Citizens’ own School

(Second Time)

21 May 1958 to 24 December 1981

(2 Zul-Qiadha 1377)

Government School

(Second Time)

24th December 1981 to 08 February 1989
Naifaru Citizens’ own School

(Third Time)

08 February 1989 – 30 March 1996
Government School

(Third Time)

30th March 1996 to now

When the school was initially started, the teaching was conducted at east and north space of Atoll’s office. This place was till the education system of Ifthithaah took a new spirit after the setback. In 1945 when women education was initiated, they used MAULOOD HARUGE as the centre for classes to females. And on 6th November 1948 Maulood Haruge became the official schooling place upon the education department’s circular. The motto of the school was ‘united we stand: divide we fall’. And when the golden jubilee approached remarkable changes were brought to this place. For this occasion to change the building, Naifaru community stepped up as one single body.

© 2011 Madhrasathul Ifthithaah